Monday 18 May 2009

How Good Is Your Hair.......

For Hip Hop News & Entertainment at DimeWars.Com

So i just finished watching this piece on the Tyra Banks show about black women's hair. It is an age old debate which has been brought back into focus by Chris Rock's new doc "Good Hair".

I'm still trying to process my thoughts on this piece. But firstly i am going to start with a rant at Tyra Banks firstly. If there was ever a women who promoted eurocentric hair its Tyra Banks, this is a woman who eat sleeps and breaths weaves that are as "white styled" as u can get. Then she sits there in her convenient cornrows chastising women on owning their hair.

I am really starting to get bored of the natural v relaxed hair debate. Highlighting the fact that black women spend the most on hair products is a skewed figure, especially in relation to straightening products GHD straighteners have global annual sales of £50mil= and this is just one brand of straightener. Hence hair straightening is not a black thing.

I do know as a child people would say i had good hair, i can without a doubt confirm my good hair was actually "good care". I think that the point that is missed in the good hair debate is that the value we place on what is good hair is really what can attained from good hair grooming which has nothing to do with chemical processing.

I have spent my years styling in any which way i could, braids, weave, relaxer, curly perm, wave novuea, dyed, natural.... none of these styling feats were to be accepted in white society they were to express my style at that time.

Black women use there hair as an expressive tool, so when i see bright coloured weaves (although it is not my taste) i have to appreciate their expression. Other races use other outlets such as Japanese fashion, European make-up.

I say give up the hair debate, what ever style u choose au natural or straight as a bone, wear it with pride. A good dollop of conditonner and oil moisturier and we're good to go...



Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: